Friday, August 24, 2007

discovering the world of cramps

my sister is a professional dancer and when i told her about my experience, she said it's such a usual thing among dancers and sportsmen, that she had them all the time while studying, they are caused by overtraining. she said i must have walked too much that evening and my muscels were reacting to it, especially beacuse i am heavyer now:) she also said that if the cramp is so intense that it doesn't let go off your muscle, dancers take a needle and poke the muscle to release the spasm...ouch! that might really hurt! but she said it helps immediately. then my sister started telling me terrible stories about some dancers who tear their muscles during practices and the muscle runs away from it's usual location, so in order to catch it before it runs, after it's ripped, they take a safety pin (!) and pin it to the other ripped end. terrible!

4 comments:

Mara Noelle said...

I mentioned your spasms to my mother. She said she had them, too, and immediately said, "Calcium!" I thought you might want to know - it has worked for other pregnant women. Since you're more of a pregnant woman than a dancer... :-)

tahmina, amir & azamat said...

thanks, mara! my mom said the same thing!:):):) unfortunately i don't like milk or diary products, so i started taking calcium in tablets. hopefuly it'll help!

Leila Gates-Wai said...

Hey Tahmina,
Something that I learned last year is that you can also get leg cramps from dehidration.
I got them a few times during the summer here on days I didn't drink enough water. They are horrible! specially when they wake you up at night and you are so sleepy you can't even stretch your leg!! :D
I hope this helps!

tahmina, amir & azamat said...

thanks love, i will make sure to drink enough luquid, which i haven't been doing lately...