Thursday, June 15, 2006

Family

I finally felt what it's like to have a family in the Holy Land. At first, when I arrived, I witnessed so many of my friends having their parents, brothers, sisters, in-laws coming visiting them while they are here, and I never even could imagine myself on their place:) It was impossible for my family to visit me due to their financial situation. So it would remain inside of my heart as a wish for fulfillment of which I prayed tirelessly. Finally, when I and Amir decided to get married here my family started talking about coming for our wedding. They really strained all their efforts and with some help they made it! I rejoiced in happiness of being able to visit and pray in the Holy Shrines with them, especially at such an important period of my life! It was amazing! Amir's father was able to come too and stayed with us for another 3 weeks after my folks were gone home. He had an opportunity to volunteer at different departments and visit the Holy Shrines often. It was so nice to have him and be able to share the experiences of the Holy Land with him. After he was gone, we felt lonely for sometime but then life of service has taken over us with all its challenges and joys and we finally could feel what it's like to be married and be alone with each other. Few weeks after we got good news of Amir's cousin coming and serving here for 18 months. This guy brought back the feeling of an extended family to us and we were very happy to welcome him here. And yet few other weeks later Amir's immediate brother Jamal arrived to serve here as well:) I feel like all my prayers were answered and if before I was all by myself, now I have two brothers and a husband serving by my side. I cannot explain how wonderful it is to feel that:) I am so excited and happy! Jamal arrived yesterday and will stay here for 18 months. In 5 months we will be gone and hopefully this half of my family will be able to visit another half in Kazakhstan when we'll join them. I am so grateful that I married someone who values family so much. I think this is one of few things we have in common in our cultures. I just love it:) And, if we are to follow Bahaullah's words of "...all men be as one kindred and one family...." how will we know what's it's like if we don't have a model to look at, if we don't value our own families?

3 comments:

Dik said...

Family is to important yes. In my blog I speak about family, if you have free time look my blog.

Sevda and Michael Teske said...

Taha, I understand you soooo well, I felt exactly the same way. My family couldn't even dream of visiting Holy Land untill Michael and I got married and they could come for our wedding. Now that we're in the US and one part of my family is still in Azerbaijan, I don't know if my parents will ever make it here, or Michael's parents will ever make it to go to Azerbaijan. So when I look at our wedding pics where my parents are sitting besides Michael's, it is like a dream, almost unbelievable. I love those pictures because both halves of my dear family are there together. And I love that my parents always keep in-touch with Michael's, emailing each other and constantly sending their love for each other via us. It is just so special and important for me. I'm happy for you that you have a loving family and that you value it. Much love,
Sevda

~Frooghi's~ said...

I can imagine what you are feeling Taha! I left my family five years ago and although at first I was exited to be out on my own, soon enough the pain of missing them set in. My mother always reminds me of how she left her family in Iran in 1978 and set out to a strange place she barely even knew - and how much she misses her parents every day! She says you just carry your loved ones in your heart .... Reading Sevda's response made me a little emotional because none of my family could be at my wedding ....I remember standing at the top of the stairs in my wedding dress ready to walk down to the main hall and all i wanted was my mother next to me giving me strenght and telling me it's okay .... I just closed my eyes for a few minutes and she was right there ... Oh well ... this is life, eh?